Friday, March 25, 2011

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

I loved everything about this book (well, there was one thing I didn't love but I can't give it away). Imagine a world without love - it does cause a lot of problems and makes us act crazy, or go crazy or even hurt. We could still have marriages (arranged) and families but without all of the angst of the love part. We would be efficient, industrious, honest, and meet much of our potential in a very relaxed, less stressful world because love is no longer. This would be possible because our government has learned through the ages that love is a detriment to society - so around the age of 18 we would have an operation (lobotomy it sounded like) where we would not have the strong feelings or mixed emotions that are caused by attraction, love and hormones. It works for many - and in the beginning of the book Lena is excited for her procedure which is soon to come. But, when she meets Alex and allows herself to feel certain things she realizes all of the ways that a society without love is not for her. She realizes that with all of it's pitfalls and pain - love really is necessary to have an authentic life. I can't say enough about this book! I want to shout it from the roof tops - it really makes you appreciate all that love brings to our lives - the good, bad, sad, painful and glorious!

No comments: