Thursday, November 12, 2009

Halloween Traditions

Cam and I carve pumpkins every year - pretty much like everyone else I guess. Around the time we moved to Texas (1999) we got these patterns and special saws and stuff that make pumpkin carving a lot easier with WAY better results! Neither Cam nor I are particularly artistically inclined - so we kind of get into how these can turn out. Of course I have to do all of the cleaning out of the pumpkin because Cam doesn't like that part.


After the carving is done - I clean all the seeds and salt them and bake them - but really I am the only one who likes them at all. I still do it because it is tradition. We put our plastic pumpkins outside for the world to see but we don't put our carved pumpkins out till Halloween. We keep them inside to enjoy ourselves (often times it is too warm outside and they go bad more quickly).

Cam did the skull and I did the cat. I took these in the dark with the candles lit - but my flash made them a little too bright. I will miss doing this with him next year when he is away at college.

3 comments:

calmrapids said...

Your pumpkins look awesome! This year I purchased a "pumpkin gutter" that cleans out the insides remarkably fast and easy and it doesn't hurt the seeds. Of course, it probably doesn't matter now that Cam's going to college before next Halloween!

Shaury said...

Nice work. You didn't need to say who did which one, it's pretty obvious.

Becky A said...

I've always wanted to try those patterns. I don't like carving pumpkins AT ALL...good work, both of you!