Monday, November 9, 2009

Klein Homecoming '09

I am so behind on blogging! This is the Homecoming blog that I have been trying to put together for a while. I had to beg Cam to ask for pictures from either Rory's camera or from his date Lauren - but obviously that is a lot to ask! Finally I had to have Cam help me get them off of FB. I may have mentioned to some of you my feelings about the unfairness of being the mother of the boy! The boy picks up the girl and they (the girl's parents) get all the pictures! The poor boy's parents get crap! I gave my camera to Cam for the evening in hopes of getting some pictures (Actually, I threatened to call Lauren's mom and ask for copies to be emailed to me if Cam didn't take my camera and get me some shots.) Apparently my camera wasn't really a priority for anyone else though - so I didn't even get one of Cam alone with his date!!!! Luckily they were posted to FB and therefore available to all. What else can a mother of a boy do?

Cam and Rory were asked to Homecoming by two girls on the cross-country team. There was a lot of drama the week before while Rory went back and forth trying to decide if he wanted to go with that particular girl. At one point Cameron was going to go with Jana and his other friend Brandon (also on the CC team) was going to go with Lauren. Rory, after much wavering, annoying everyone involved decided he did want to go. By the time that decision was made Cam was so irritated that they didn't speak for a day or two!

In Texas there are some unusual customs about Homecoming. First and foremost "the Mum". Mums are these huge fake flowers (mums) that you get from Michael's or a hobby shop of some kind and add streamers, ribbons, bells and trinkets to customize the arrangement for your particular date. They are a HUGE deal! If you order one from the many mum makers in the area - it can cost up to $200!!! Being the frugal mom that I am - I just couldn't justify that expense. I decided to do a little research and make Cam's mum for his date. Cam and I have made fun of this custom in the past - saying that the mums are ridiculous, gaudy and too noisy! But when Rory and Cam asked their dates what they wanted to do - of course the girls wanted to go all out and do everything!


This is the mum that I thought was complete - but Cam called me at work at 3:30 and told me he wanted to add a bear (and it had to be done because they were meeting at Lauren's house at 6:00 to exchange the mums). I stopped at Hobby Lobby on my way home from work and got a bear and hurried home to hot glue it on!


This is the finished product. Cam wanted a bigger bear but I told him this was more tasteful and cuter. (I feel kinda bad because apparently the bigger the bear the better. Also, I thought a brown bear would be cuter - but white is the norm even if white is the mum color too!) I should have researched more because I was wrong!


This is the mum that Lauren gave to Cam. Apparently senior mums are distinguished by being made white and either gold or silver. The underclassmen mums are regular school colors.


There is a mum "exchange" the night before, so that the couple can wear their mums at school the day of the game. All day long those kids wear those monstrosities (boys on their arm and girls around their necks and they go down to their feet!).


Do you see how I shortchanged Cam - or perhaps made him look chincy to his date? Rory's mom had his made. This embarrassment is what I get for being frugal!


Some shots of the guys at Rory's house prior to picking up the girls. This is the thoughtful pose, I guess. I didn't even get shots of the boys because Cam drove!


Two hunks of burning love!


Lauren and Jana - the dates, very cute girls!


Cameron and Jana - this picture confused me at first. I thought they must have switched dates (there was talk of that at one point - long story).


This is one of the shots that I had to swipe off of FB - they look good together don't they. I thought she was pretty!


Again, looking like a cute couple. I don't think it was a match made in heaven - since he hasn't really said a word about her since the dance. Although I saw some pictures of the CC Banquet (which we missed because we were out of town!) that they were both in.


The four of them all looking in different directions.


This is much better. I wish there was a shot of Lauren's beautiful corsage with the keepsake bracelet! But it is on her other wrist. They took these shots at a pretty waterfall by our house and then to Outback Steakhouse for dinner.


All in all a good night. I didn't get all that much information from Cam - but I think he was glad he went. All he actually said was that it was very hot and crowded in there - and that he didn't see the place where they take the official dance pictures till they were about to leave, so they didn't take any! He sounds like a smooth operator doesn't he?

3 comments:

Shaury said...

I'm glad to finally get to hear about the big dance after just seeing the pictures on fb. What strange TX customs, but I think that would be super fun both as a kid & a mom. Good job on the ribbon thingy. Although the bear isn't huge the streamers are very long & beautiful.

Becky A said...

She is definitely a cute girl. In fact, I looked at her entire photo book on fb, and she seems like a lot of fun, too. The mum you made looks great. I think I might have heard of that custom before, like on some weird reality show on MTV or something...

calmrapids said...

I agree about the mum thing--totally weird and I would like to shoot the person that started it. It's such a waste of money. But, you got to do it. It's tradition and all the kids are doing it!

Caitlin made hers and she needed me to pick up the supplies and I, of course, had no idea that the seniors were white and gold so I got all this blue stuff that she didn't even use. The bear she got didn't fit with the flower so she tore its head and arms and legs off and used the flower as its body. That actually turned out very cute. It's really such a weird tradition.

The pictures look great and I love how those boys look in their black shirts and suits. Very handsome!