Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Donut Day

Donut Day fell on Saturday October 16th this year. This is an annual Birt tradition that has been going on since before my time even (22 yrs). It is always a Saturday in October where we spend the entire day making donuts, eating donuts, delivering donuts to friends and family and pretty much exhausting everything "donut". We began very early that day with just Nolan, Diane, Cory and myself preparing the dough. At this stage of the game, Diane is preparing 4 batches of donuts and needs help with the kneading and rolling out of more than 500 donuts and holes too!


Here we are working our respective batches while everyone else in the family is probably sleeping (I know for a fact that Cam was - because he picked up Cory flying in from D.C., and me from Houston from the airport at midnight the night before.)

Of course - this had to turn into some sort of competition to see who's dough would rise the fastest - it ended up being between Nolan's and mine (Diane would say she had a bigger bowl and Cory would say something about the shape of his bowl).



Diane chatting while she works. This is roughly half of one batch. I'm telling you there are LOTS of donuts here!

Some of Larry's kids finally showed up to help. These two lucky devils ate the very first of the donuts this year. Cory working the first shift on the fryer. (All these donuts and we had to wait forever for Angela to arrive with the second fryer.) Production was slow at first.

Cam finally got up to help - well I think I went down to get him up around noon. I wanted to actually spend some time with him while he was "visiting". He ate a few and then took a turn on the fryer. Shaury is trying to pose with her donut and her dipping stick (to glaze the donuts). She was quite the specialist over in that corner.


Isn't he handsome?


Jonah doing his part cutting out.


And Larry finally arrives with the other fryer.


Abby smiling while she works!



Cam still getting it done (actually I don't think he worked longer than anyone else on the fryer I just took more pics of him while he was there) - and another pose from goofball Shaury.


Me, I guess bossing a little. Finally got a shower too. (my chin looks strange in that picture). Pheobe and Will arrive from a soccer game.


Hudson arrives and takes his turn even though he didn't feel all that well. (again Shaury poses)

Cam on his computer getting some input on his winter semester schedule that he will be registering for very soon. So nice to be right next to him!



A wonderful day - warm outside (which isn't always the case) and all the family together working, eating, visiting and being together. One of my very favorite traditions!

4 comments:

Elder and Sister Birt said...

Nothing better than family, donuts & fun. I'm happiest when we are all together. Pretty fun when you get 16 grandkids all in one place. Fun times!

Becky A said...

Hooray for donuts!

pcb said...

Becky - I just noticed that I bought that same plaid shirt that Abby is wearing at Target.

calmrapids said...

I love this tradition! Very fun! And deeelish!