Thursday, July 16, 2009

Routes (Running #2)

Alright, so it might not be every week! Call it "periodic" running tips.

My next topic is "running routes". I think every runner should have several - according to their needs. I have a short, medium and a couple of longs. I have 3 other longer routes for when I have been training for something long and I have another with a lot of traffic (not just car traffic - but lots of people traffic). Let me explain.

I usually run a short, a medium and a long each week. The other days I mow the lawn, bike (which I need to do more of) and take a day off. Right now, I am trying to up my mileage so I am running 2 mediums and a long each week and sometimes I add another day in there too - but then my knees get to hurting (another story). We all need to mix it up - we can't run the same old thing every day we run. My running issues are interest, mileage and time.

Cory has a garmin - where he can put a route in and follow where the garmin tells him to go. I don't have a garmin (and wouldn't be able to see it if I did have one). So, I make up a route and then I go to www.gmap-pedometer.com or www.mapmyrun.com and map the distance precisely, then I add or subtract distance accordingly. I also keep time by the kitchen clock when I walk out the door and when I walk back in (extremely accurate). I can't see my watch without my glasses.

Like I said before, the most important elements for my routes are interest, mileage and time. Sometimes I only have a certain amount of time to get a run in and therefore I know I must run my short route - or run my medium faster than I normally would. Knowing the route mileage is important to get in the right amount of miles per week. And interest for me is paramount. Since I am no deep thinker when I run, and I definitely do not calculate times like Cory and Cam do when they run. I have to have routes that keep my attention. I also do not run with music because it is dangerous, so I need some visual stimulation. I like looking at yards and homes for upgrades or changes. I also like sidewalks because drivers can be crazy sometimes. Some days I don't feel all that motivated so I will take my heavy traffic route - where I will see lots of people because (don't deny it) I don't stop running if someone else is around.

The tip I am trying to give is to make up several routes. Think about your needs, weaknesses, likes and dislikes so that you don't have to think about making something up on the fly, you already know where you are going, approximately how long it should take you and the distance you have traveled.

3 comments:

Shaury said...

Thanks for the pointers. I've actually calculated a few things while I've been running before, thinging that it's something Cory would do. It sure does take your mind off of the running. I just run out of interesting things to calculate. I'll have to try those websites you posted for route options.

calmrapids said...

I don't run but I used to and maybe one day I'll try again, but I do try and walk. I, too, have several routes around my neighborhood and can lengthen or shorten them if I need to. I'm very interested in your web sites about figuring out your distance. What is a good distance to go? What do you push for? What are realistic goals?

Becky A said...

I don't run with music or a garmin, either. I used to last year when I first started, but found that I do better with a more "natural" approach. I usually have the song Bouree (sp?) by Bach in my head as I run. It has a really steady beat.