Monday, February 16, 2009
An Answer to a Prayer
I mentioned to Cory just yesterday that half the time I don't even think Cam likes me anymore. It has been hard for me to have him become so independent and grown up. Although the sensible side of me knows that is what is supposed to happen. I don't think I have ever met another mother and son that are as close as we once were. He is my only child and we have spent a lot of time away from family and most often alone. We also have very similar personalities and we just have always seemed to get along and enjoy each other's company. We still do - it is just difficult to get a sense of how Cam feels about me. He gives me the cursory kiss and "love you" each night before bed - but I miss our old life when he needed me and enjoyed me above anyone else. (You guys with younger boys just wait!) I guess society expects boys to be tough and not sensitive and to not show too much emotion. So with that said - Cam is probably acting like he is supposed to - but sometimes it hurts and I miss my little boy who was sensitive and didn't mind showing it. Anyway, yesterday I was saying that to Cory while we were driving. I have been thinking about it a lot lately - worrying I guess. If I am not close to my only child what do I really have? So...this morning as I am going about emptying garbage's in all the bathrooms - just the Monday morning routine. I see this paper with writing on it, a school assignment of some kind, all crumpled up right on top of Cam's garbage. Yes, of course I smoothed it out to read it! Cory thinks that is wrong - I didn't give it a second thought. (If he really didn't want it read he would have torn it up right?) My heart stopped when I realized what it said - and really it was as if in answer to a prayer. It started with "I would have to say my biggest inspiration is my mom..." He goes on to say how he feels about me and that he hopes he can be like me someday. Aaagghhh - those moments of feeling appreciated are so few and far between when it comes to teenagers. I want to frame it! (But I don't want him to know I read it and not trust me with his garbage anymore - there may be future treasures there.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Oh Paige I got teary eyed when it came to the topic of the paper in the garbage. (I'm very over sensitive). I already realize that my little cuddly boys will not want to hug and kiss me when they are older that is why I have treasured Logan in my bed. Other mothers don't understand it...but I don't regret a night!!! I've always seen that you and Cam are closer than a lot of moms and sons. That's awesome. Just remember, him being less affectionate doesn't mean he doesn't still love you!
Oh, I'm glad you found that little note in the garbage. So maybe don't frame it, but at least you can keep it stashed away somewhere for you to always treasure.
That is an answer to prayer! Yeah! Love that kid!
Tender mercies...
Cam is such a great kid. You are a lucky mom.
What a great letter!
I don't look forward to those days.
I like to think of things like this as the tender mercies of the Lord. You will treasure that peice of paper forever.
oh i love you paige, you do the things all of us want to and say the things no one dares to :)
That's great. What a good answer to a prayer.
Post a Comment