Monday, March 29, 2010

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Alright - I know I just did a book but I absolutely HAD to do this book! I haven't been this excited about a book since Twilight and before that Harry Potter! This is an excellent book and you will be sending me hugs and kisses for recommending it. I expect all of you to contact your local library TODAY and put this on hold (because it will be out of course!).

Okay - it is about a society following the one we currently live in - with a controlling government (yes, more than the one we have right now) who make these yearly games (as a means of keeping folks in line) in which each of the 12 districts has to provide a boy and a girl to participate by doing a lottery kind of thing. Your name has to be put in the lottery starting at the age of 12 and then another entry every year afterward. That means if you are 16 you would be entered 4 times. You can enter your name more times if you want more food rations than the government provides. This goes on until you turn 18. The games (which sound a lot like Survivor) are to the death! (I know!) Only one person can win. Katniss who is 16 has her name in the lottery 7 times - her 12 year old sister Prim, who she is very protective of, has her name in just once. But who do you think gets her name drawn?

I don't want to give anything away - but this is a book where I was screaming and talking back to the book and angry if I had to even stop to go to the bathroom! But at the same time I felt I wanted to ration it, savor it because it was so enthralling! I can't say enough good things about it. I am currently waiting for the next book Catching Fire. If you have never listened to me before - I beg you to listen this time - this is an awesome book! (And your teenagers will enjoy it too!)

6 comments:

Elder and Sister Birt said...

This is our book club book for this month. I read it in a couple days...couldn't put it down. Loved it, but didn't love the gore & violence & kids killing kids. Definitely a page-turner.

Angela said...

Yes Diane told me about this and I'm waiting for Shaury to finish it so Hudson and I can both read it! By the way you might be impressed to know I went to the library and checked out both Binchy and Tyler books. Circle of Friends and Breathing Lessons, in case I didn't like one I could start another. But don't get your hopes up..i usually don't like books others recommend. ha ha I already don't like the dialect in "Circle of Friends" (if that's the right word for it)I don't know if that is how she always writes or if it's just the language from their time and place...but I'll keep reading.
And I will tell Hud about Cam's infections just to keep him washing good! We've seen documentaries on TV about stuff like that too so I think it scared him enough for awhile, but then they forget and start slacking again.

pcb said...

Angela - you already tried "Circle of Friends" a few years ago and didn't like it - I took it personally that's why I remember it, ha. Maeve Binchy is from Ireland, that is the different dialect you are talking about, all of her books are like that. I may go to Ireland this year, I love it. I don't think you will like Anne Tyler either - but you will love this one!

Becky A said...

I love Hunger Games! Abby, Phoebe and I have all read it. In fact I just got it on my ipod, too, so I could listen to it at work. I thought the premise of it was ingenius--futuristic technology crossed with a Roman Empire type idea...I, like you, was as into it as I was Harry Potter. I read it one day in training at work, and then Catching Fire the next day. Now i'm on pins and needles waiting for book 3!

pcb said...

Yep, "Mockingjay" hasn't even come out yet and already there is a waiting list at our library and I am on it! Can't wait!

calmrapids said...

It sounds a lot like Surviving Antarctica that was a Bluebonnet Book a few years ago. These kids were randomly picked to go survive a journey to the South Pole, all in the name of their socialist government. No one dies but they come close. I didn't particularly like it but mostly because the writing was a bit lazy--I think it was on the Bluebonnet list because the author was the mayor's wife.

Anyway, I'll get on the waiting list for this one. I'll let you know if I like it!