Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dry Pack Canning

A few weeks ago my friend Liz and I went to the Dry Pack Canning place on our ward's assigned day and went to work. I took pictures with my phone - but alas I can not figure out how to get them onto the computer! You will just have to imagine the two of us in our hairnets and plastic aprons working up a storm putting flour, sugar, oats, re fried beans, beans, cocoa, rice etc into cans. It was really fun and I am always amazed at the efficiency with which the church operates. And also the help that the church offers to all who are willing to work. The other amazing thing was that we were the only two that went that day from our ward! Don't people know what a fun and rewarding experience it is to do this? It only took us an hour and a half to get everything that we wanted and then we were on our way! I don't recommend buying everything there - but if you want a food storage supply, this stuff will last longer than the stuff from the grocery store (as it is in cans not paper). It also gave me a chance to organize my other storage items and rotate stuff. I felt very productive!

2 comments:

calmrapids said...

Aahh!! I wanted to see those pictures. Actually, I'm glad you couldn't get them on your computer. Whew!

yay for food storage! Bring on the hurricanes!

Angela said...

I love the cannery! They can pretty much count on me in our ward...I'm a regular volunteer. Pour on the blessings! I don't look forward to it but once I'm there it IS always fun. And I'm weird that way...I enjoy assembly line kind of work. Even testing at Job Service when I was young it came out that Assembly line was my preferance. ha ha ha haha haha But I don't like when someone is bored with their job and helps me with mine...i can handle my own thankyou..cause otherwise I'm standing around doing nothing. Post those pics anyway when you figure it out. We live on our hot chocolate mix from the cannery...mmm mmm good!