Late night last night - Cory and I went to see "The Sound of Music" downtown. I have seen this movie about a million times - so I was curious to see a stage adaptation. It is hard after seeing Julie Andrews play Maria a million times to allow someone else to take a shot at it. They even put this Maria into a wig that was very similar to what Julie Andrew's hair looked like in the movie. She grew on me - but at first I just wasn't buying it. The Captain was too gruff at first - not subtle like Christopher Plummer in the movie - and the children weren't nearly as talented as in the movie, but there were some really great scenes. The "16 going on 17" scene was my favorite - and the boy who played Rolph was very good. He actually rode his bike with Liesl on the back a little on stage and I was sure he was going to crash and they were both to come tumbling down! And then the "I must have done something good" scene was very good - and there is nothing like some stage kissing. I even had a tear in my eye when at the end the Captain sings "Edelweiss" at the music festival. The actor truly had a fine voice! All in all a great night out. I really needed some time off from all of my farmwork - I have been working my fingers (especially my right index finger) to the bone!
3 comments:
I would've liked to have seen this but we had to pick and choose which shows we saw/see this year and this one didn't make the cut.
We really are turning into "Theatre People" aren't we?
That would have been a pretty good one to see even tho I don't particularly like the movie. I know you probably think i'm strange...i just don't like many musicals, except Grease and Mamma Mia! :)
JEALOUS! (yet again...)
Post a Comment