Sunday, February 21, 2010

I'm Out - Cam's In

Well I am a free woman now - finished work on Friday. I seriously did not want to work the week. I spent the entire week comforting others about losing MY job. Most everyone was worried about my becoming destitute or something - so I had to keep assuring everyone that I would be fine without the enormous income I was raking in each month! I can honestly say that I am glad I saw the whole week through. This was doubly difficult since Cory had Thursday and Friday off work and I haven't seen him in months because of HIS work! Anyway, it is done and I was assured that they would call the minute any grant money opened up. I will miss it but am anxious to get out in that yard tomorrow!

Cam found out Tuesday evening that he was accepted to BYU. The world came to a standstill when the texts from friends started buzzing saying to go to the BYU website to find out your future! After a few minutes of euphoria the problem became not knowing if Rory was accepted. Rory (Cam's BFF) was still at work and wouldn't be home for hours! We spent a rough couple of hours sweating before he could get home and get to his computer and let Cam know that they could indeed room together (which they have talked about since 8th grade!). They have already scheduled to be room mates at Helaman Halls.

It has been bothering me since then that whenever I tell someone that Cam will be going to BYU. The reaction has been kind of ignorant. Let me explain. I have been bragging about how brilliant Cam is his whole life - I think everyone expected him to go to Stanford (he has talked about Stanford his entire life) or some prestigious university because if he is half as smart as his mother thinks he is than any school of that caliber would be begging to get him. Cam got a XX on his ACT and I think a XXXX on the SAT - he has always taken AP classes in every subject that they are available, he took Calculus his Junior year and got a perfect score on the AP test. Schools did want him - he was contacted to apply to all of the big schools right when his ACT and SAT scores were released. Cam IS as smart as I always say - he wants to go to BYU for many reasons. Firstly, he wants to go there because he wants to go on a mission and that is what is expected there by both the boys and the girls (who date boys). Secondly, he will get a good education without the huge cost of one of the fancy schools - we have told him that his undergraduate doesn't matter as much as his graduate and if he gets into a fancy school for his graduate degree than we will pay for that - but this is an awesome school and happens to be a great deal financially! Third, Cam has never been around mostly mormoms except for EFY which he loved both times he went. He imagines BYU will be a lot like EFY where he will be in the majority for a change.

The other thing that has been annoying me - it seems lots of people think that the only requirement for acceptance into BYU is that you be Mormon. This couldn't be further from the truth. It is hard and competitive at BYU. If you look at their required test scores and GPA you will see. This BYU isn't the same as the BYU of the 70's or 80's - it is nationally ranked in several programs too. I know people don't mean to annoy me with their ignorance about BYU (especially non-members who have no reason to really know anything about it). Just take my word, and Cam's good judgement that this is a good place to be going in the Fall of 2010! Just thought I would share my annoyance though - since it's my blog and I can!

P.S. Now we wait to see if he will get a scholarship!

6 comments:

pcb said...

Cory made me take the actual numbers out - paranoid that people really care about other people's test scores. I don't think any of you are spies or that these things really matter - but I ALWAYS try to make my husband happy!

calmrapids said...

I totally agree that Cam is way smart and I also agree that any BYU campus is the place for the majority of smart mormon kids!

I have friends that can't believe we didn't apply anywhere else! Hard to understand, I know.

Have fun in your yard today. I'm home sick--I think I have a sinus infection. Chris made me promise not to do laundry or dishes today but he didn't say anything about being on the computer. :)

Elder and Sister Birt said...

Awesome grandson...we are so proud.

Diane B said...

Funny how different takes can be on the same subject. BYU may be the most academic, worldwide campus in the country. If you live in Utah, you have a very hard time getting into BYU. Many go to BYU Idaho, which is a really good second choice. I think Cam has made a great choice on many different levels concerning his college life.

Pop

Angela said...

I'm glad you posted what you felt...cause that's how I feel..."it's my blog and I can say what I want"...it's like journaling. Get it out and it won't fester. :) I'm so excited that he's coming to Utah because I'm sure that means we'll see more of him AND you and Cory! I'm really happy that Rory is going with him...that is awesome to have a close friend for all these years and to attend college together will make it more memorable and enjoyable.
My niece Nadia is graduating this April from BYU Idaho just as my nephew starts!

Becky A said...

That boy has been super smart since the day he was born! :) I just can't believe he is college bound already...