Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Saving of the Felt

Cory: "Did you find a piece of felt in here?"
Paige: "What did it look like?"
Cory: "It was a small black piece of felt, it was right over here behind my running basket!"
Paige: "Um - yes, I did happen to see that small piece of felt behind that when I was cleaning the bathroom on Friday, I threw it away when I did the floor." (Actually, I wiped it up as I was wiping the floor - I didn't specifically take it to the garbage.)
Cory: "Why would you throw it away?"

This is a conversation that I had with my husband Sunday morning. There was an annoyed face on one of us and a look of complete incomprehension on the other. When I finally figured out what he was talking about I started laughing because it was so pure "Cory" and so completely ridiculous (but good blogging material). Of course, he was annoyed that I was laughing and he was still serious. He proceeded to inform me in his matter of fact way, that he had been saving that particular piece of felt.

Apparently Cory was saving this small (smaller than the size of a pencil erasure and completely unrecognizable as "felt") piece of felt so that he could re-attach (with necessary tweezers, that's how small it was) it to a cassette tape. You know that little tiny piece of felt that is on a cassette for the tape to run across as it is playing? That is what he was talking about!! Saving this in no way seems odd to him. It also seems completely normal to "save" it on the floor behind a clothes basket! BUT - it seems completely strange to him that I would not recognize it's value and dispose of the obvious treasure. And how many of you would think to save a minuscule piece of felt that you found on the floor behind some clothes? How was I to know it was being "saved"? He says he put it back there on purpose to "save" it from my cleaning! I thought it was a dead bug or something!

This is what I live with - a man who saves minuscule pieces of felt behind clothes baskets on the floor and then is annoyed with me when I throw them away. His growing collections of nonsense are taking over the house!

12 comments:

calmrapids said...

That is so hilarious!!!
Why doesn't he throw out the cassette tape and buy the CD?

Becky A said...

SOOO funny. and SOOO cory.
What cassette was it? I'm sure he can either download the music or buy the cd.
I can't stop laughing! :) thanks!

Becky A said...

WOW! I thought I was on the wrong blog! How "springy" you have become! Love it! :)

Cory said...

Exhibit A: "Birt's Paige" blog

Clearly a case of perception becoming reality ....

Diane B said...

Couldn't resist a comment. I feel your pain, Paige, since Cory insists that I threw away a baseball card receipt that had laid under a pile of dust on top of the frig for months/years. He reminds me of it often, as you know. I love him anyway!
XO MoM

Cory said...

Mom,

I hope you have found that receipt by the time a come to your place in May.

Those cards have to worth a lot by now!

Becky A said...

you guys are cracking me up!

pcb said...

Cory - I found a small peice of string back behind the toilet when I was cleaning - were you saving it?

Sharon said...

That is so funny!!

queenbee4 said...

This is hilarious!!

You know how important that felt was???? You can't even BUY tapes anymore. I hope that you're aware of the damage you have done. You need to go to Hobby Lobby and buy him some more felt. Right now.

Angela said...

Okay Paige is this the funny blog you were telling me about? Cause it is quite funny. I'm baa-aack. And no my very part time, part time job isn't distracting me from blogging and facebooking. It's baseball, and that you can relate to.
It does seem so Cory even though I don't know him that well. I like your questioning him on the string you found. I would be scared to throw anything away. My excuse to not have to clean. ha ha I too save miniscule things hoping to get to them later...I shouldn't be laughing. I could easily be in Cory's position and giving Larry that disgusting face that he had dared to throw away my "priceless piece of felt".
Cory...won't those cards be worth the same with or without that receipt?

Shaury said...

Ha ha ha! I feel for Cory's now useless cassette tape. And that missing receipt, what's a guy to do. Thanks for the good laugh.