I know, we aren't supposed to talk about Politics or Religion. I think we aren't supposed to because these two things mean a lot to people and we could offend them if our views are different. I recently did just that, and so I have been thinking lately about how people arrive at their political views - it must be somewhat similar to the way that I arrived at mine.
Geography - I was raised in Northern California in the 60's and 70's. It is a very liberal place. Even if my family had republican leanings in finances and small government - they were very liberal in social issues. I don't think it's possible to be raised in a liberal place and not have liberal sympathies - or a conservative place without conservative sympathies.
Environment - Growing up I think we were pretty much allowed to "follow the dictates of our own consciences". The trouble with that thinking is that if nothing is considered "wrong" do we develop a conscience? In my childhood home there was very little considered "wrong" as far as social issues were concerned. We were taught to be nice, work hard, not to cheat, lie or steal but free to explore sex, drugs and rock and roll if we chose to, consequences to be faced if necessary.
Religion - no religion growing up. I joined the church in High School and this did (and does) affect my politics very much. I don't think people should look to the government for help except as a last resort. They should work to become self sufficient - if they need temporary help they should look to their family, their church (or support group) and then government. One of the main reasons I consider myself a republican is because I want and expect everyone to work. If you are disabled and you can not work that is different (and exactly who government programs were initially intended for) and the government should help - but if you are lazy and feel entitled to sit around while others work to support you - that offends my sense of fairness - and strains our society as a whole.
Education - I have a bachelors degree in History with a minor in English. I like to think that I have learned some things in my history studies, "those who don't are doomed to repeat it!" I think an education matures and hopefully evolves us - it forces us to ask ourselves questions about what we believe and why and historically, what political policies worked and which ones failed.
Parenthood - Parenthood (possibly more than anything else) has changed some of my views. I never really thought much about "regulation" prior to parenthood. Having a child has made me think about political hot buttons like pornography, entertainment, pedophilia, prostitution, abortion, second hand smoke etc. These things and many more need to be regulated. Our children are entitled to a childhood - they should be able to be innocent children during their childhood. I don't think pornography should be easily accessible. (I honestly don't think the founding fathers could even conceive of such a thing when coining the phrase "free speech".) I don't want a pedophile living next door without my knowledge and my (hypothetical) 16 year old daughter should have to get my permission for an abortion, my son should be able to change channels without seeing something violent or sexual during prime time, and when I go somewhere to eat I should be able to breath! I don't care so much about allowing someone freedom of speech (or expression) - if that speech is offensive to a child.
Occupation - I have worked as a caseworker for food stamps and medicaid. For most of that time my clientele were aged and disabled. I currently work for the Meals on Wheels program in my area. I love helping people, my problem is people who know the system too well and plot accordingly. The people who know that if they have one more baby their monthly income will increase this much etc. The people who only TAKE from the system and never give anything back. I have also been in the Army - which profoundly changed my views about foreign policy, US interests and all things military. There are some things worth fighting for and some that are not. I joined the military to pay for school, which it did. My own experience taught me that this option is available to any who wish to take advantage of it. I don't feel sorry for anyone who says they didn't go to college because they didn't have the money - I didn't have the money either, but where there is a will there is a way.
Experience - with age and time and different events in ones life comes experience. That is not to say that older people are always smarter than younger people. But they very well could be! They have seen things - they have learned things (hopefully). I know, at this age what constitutes happiness - better than I ever did in my twenties. I feel strongly that people still need to try to be and to do "good". There are some that choose the path of least resistance, others take a long hard trail - they logically will not end up at the same place or with the same things (and the person that chose the more difficult path should not have to hand over his reward to the person who chose the lesser path!).
Sometimes I am amazed at people's politics. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. Obviously we all have experienced these categories differently. We will never all think exactly the same. The two party system is still the best thing going. All I ask of anyone is that you think out YOUR OWN politics - because although tradition is a good thing - it really doesn't belong in politics. Everyone has their own responsibility to think things through on their own...kind of like religion!
5 comments:
very interesting post, Paige. I would say that being a parent has changed my way of thinking the most. and I can speak for Brandon and say the same, even more so, I think.
nice thoughts...
I like this post. My sister and I were raised by the same parents with the same religion and geography and we are so very different. We have a silent agreement to not discuss politics or religion. Sometimes the subject does come up and we are very polite to each other when it does but then we change the subject and move on to friendlier ground as soon as we can.
We do feel the same when it comes to hand-outs. She lives in NY and the taxes are atrocious--Everyone who is of any color gets favored wtih food stamps, welfare, you name it. She and her hubby both work hard and honestly but she could qualify for a hand-out if her skin were brown. It drives her crazy.
I always thought you majored in English. Nice thoughts. I believe there is a black & white to everything. Good or bad, no inbetween. What do you think?
I realized right before graduating that I would have to take statistics for an English major, I had enough credits to graduate in History so I decided to just get the english minor and be done with it. Statistics wasn't really even a possibility for me.
I do tend to see things in black and white and have been accused of it all my life (as a negative). I guess in my older age I can admit that there are degrees of good and bad. Like two options are both good but one may be slightly better for some reason or another - is that what you mean? I think that when people accuse me of being this way what they mean is that I usually either like something or I don't. I think my mom accuses me of it because she thinks it is a nice way of saying I'm not very open minded. I haven't really noticed these traits in you though, but I must say I am kinda happy if we do have this in common because I usually like the way you think.
I have always hated discussing politcs with people, but you are very educated in this area. I agreed with everything you said. I grew up being a Democrat because my mom said "Republicans were for the rich people". I now see it differently. I also vote for "who" is running not just what party they are representing. Because there are standings on both sides that I don't agree with. I mainly can't stand discussing politics when it comes to isses like abortion. Makes me angry to even hear their views...my flaw. But I don't see why we have to argue just because we have different opinions on politics. Although I was offended by anyonen who voted Obama. Sorry Paige if you did. ha ha I don't have an indepth background or knowledge like you do..and that is why i look up to you so much because you remind me of my sister, you both seem to be so much more knowledgable about everything than I am and you can speak and phrase things so well. I think you'd get along really well together. I guess it comes down to my instincts and how someone makes me feel when I'm voting...I have pretty strong feelings about peoples aura i guess you could say. That includes who my friends are and whom i chose to associate with period!
Post a Comment