Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Motherhood


On Christmas morning 1991 I found out I was pregnant. I got up super early in the morning and took the test and then woke Cory with the results. We had been married for a few years and were starting to worry about not getting pregnant. Needless to say - it was a magical Christmas morning. Family had probably been expecting this news for quite awhile. There was lots of excitement as Cam would be the first grandchild and great-grandchild on Cory's side of the family. I experienced a near perfect pregnancy - never sick or down. I think emotionally I felt better than ever. I wish I had enjoyed the whole thing more - if I had known it would be my only pregnancy, I would have. It was a good time for Cory and I too. We were both completely involved, he actually went to every doctors visit with me. We read a progressive pregnancy book the entire way - to be informed of what was happening inside me. Cory also read Sports Illustrated to the baby in utero (this explains a lot).

I felt very close to Cam while I was pregnant and I talked to him and to God almost constantly during my pregnancy. My conversations with both were about hopes and expectations and traits that I needed, wanted and hoped for in him and in myself to be his mother. I remember asking that he would be kind - above all. Then I hoped for him to be strong - emotionally, spiritually and of course physically. I asked that he be smart and eager to learn. Truth be told, I also asked that he would be athletic and handsome. There are no surprises here - Cam is all of these things and so much more! All of my prayers were answered and some things were thrown in that I didn't even think of. I have often thought of those secret prayers and why they were answered so completely when so many other prayers of mine have seemingly not. Possibly because my hopes were the same as Heavenly Father's plans.

The day Cam came into the world was the best day of my life - it was a miracle. Everything went smoothly and beautifully. It was the closest I have ever felt to Cory, a closeness that bound our two lives into one being - and one purpose forever. It was incredible, indescribable. I remember both of us being in awe for weeks following the experience. It is a shame that the awe ever wears off.

I like Mother's Day because it is a day that we are encouraged to remember this singular, life altering experience. I love this day because I get to celebrate being a mother - what I consider to be my favorite calling here on earth. There is no pleasure so complete and so exquisite as that of being Cam's mother.

I love it because most of the time our kids will tell us they love us, write cute poems for us, maybe make us breakfast in bed. They will acknowledge our efforts and their love for us.

I also love it because we, as children of mothers, hopefully do the same toward our mothers - and it is a circle. It is a good thing to pay tribute to all the Mother's who have influenced our lives and helped to make us the people and the mothers that we are. Happy Mother's Day Everyone!

9 comments:

Angela said...

Thanks Paige for making me cry! I never thought of Mother's Day quite that way and now I will appreciate it more! (You know I am very uncomfortable with getting gifts in front of others and trying to show the right reaction)so that part scares me off of enjoying Mother's Day. But I do remember the awesome part of being pregnant and I too had wonderful pregnancies and talked and read to my baby and Heavenly Father a lot. And the day of the actual birth in the hospital did make me feel so close to Larry. I always wanted him there during the 2 or 3 day stay for every minute and hated him leaving for any amount of time. I don't know why I remember Cam when he was 3 and 4 more than any other time...that cute picture of you two on the couch with his glasses is how I always think of him. I guess cause that is when I came into the family and I loved visiting you in California, it was always good times. And the twister games...ahhh. Hudson wants that game, so I'm thinking for his birthday this year. I loved this post. It summed up being a mother beautifully. Have a wonderful Mother's Day Paige. We love you! and Cam and Cory too. :)

Becky A said...

what an emotional post, Paige. Those pictures are all so sweet. You are so lucky (blessed) to have such a wonderful son. You are a great mother and Cam, as the first grandchild, is an awesome example to all of his younger cousins. Have a happy mother's day!

queenbee4 said...

ooohhhh..... I love this. What a sweet post.

Diane B said...

I too will never forget the day Cam was born & how happy we all were! You are a wonderful mother to him. You are both blessed to have each other. Have a wonderful Mother's Day.

Shaury said...

I too really enjoyed the pictures for this post. So sweet! Happy mother's day Paige. Thanks for being such a good example.

Cory said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cory said...

I would like to compliment the photographer. Whoever it was did a great job!

Nice post, pcb. Happy Mother's Day! Cameron and I are very lucky to have you around ....

calmrapids said...

I LOVE this post! Very sweet and very cute pictures! I love the Twister one--the expression on Cam's face is priceless! You are a great mom and deserve the best Mother's Day every year!

BYUfansr8 said...

Thanks for your sweet thoughts... very touching on what is truly important in this life! Happy Mother's Day.... a little late! :-)