On Wednesday I met Cory at his office and we went out to dinner with a group of his work associates. It was a very good restaurant called Ibiza - but in my opinion very pretentious. When the waiter was telling us about the specials - he had to tell us that the steak came from a "hand massaged cow" - as if that would make up a person's mind about ordering the steak - "Oh, well if the cow was "hand" massaged then I will have that - nothing worse than a cow that was never massaged!". WHO CARES!! Then they made a really big deal about the color of the linens - the waiter had a cow (not a "hand massaged" one) that our linens were white instead of black - so he quickly ran off to get the black ones! Don't these people have anything important to do in life? It makes me embarrassed for them - I know they think they are cool - but it is just so shallow.
We were kind of rushed during our dinner - and we barely made it to the theater to see "Fiddler on the Roof". It was very good. The original Tevye (the one who made the part famous and starred in the movie) starred in this production. He has such a distinct voice - I knew it was him right away. Just one of the perks of growing up with a mother who loves movies. I have probably seen it at least 10 times. It was a wonderful night - good food, great entertainment and my handsome husband right next to me. Good times!
5 comments:
Sounds fun!
Just for fun... I think I'm gonna go to HEB and ask if they carry any hand massaged beef. I'll let you know what they say.
I've never seen Fiddler, but I've heard it's really good. I'm glad you had such a nice evening!
Kobe beef must meet strict standards in order to qualify including:
* Tajima cattle born in Hyōgo Prefecture
* Fed by farm in Hyōgo Prefecture
* Bullock or Virgin cow, meant to purify the beef
* Processed at slaughterhouse in Kobe, Nishinomiya, Sanda, Kakogawa and Himeji in Hyōgo Prefecture.
* Marbling ratio called BMS[4] is level 6 and above.
* Meat Quality Score is A or B
* Gross weight of beef is 470 kg or below.
In accordance with popular belief, the cattle are fed a beer a day, and they are massaged with sake daily and brushed for setting fur, and fed on grain fodder. When the cattle are ready for slaughter, they are slaughtered in a humane and painless customary way in order to keep the meat tender and at its highest flavor. A Kobe beef distribution promotion conference plans to make a pamphlet in foreign languages detailing Kobe beef due to the ambiguation of what actually constitutes Kobe beef, and the fact many tourists who visit Japan receive incorrect information.
It's NOT pretention; it's TRADITION!
Who does this? Looks us senseless info to prove someone (their wife) is wrong? I am happy for those cows that get massaged - good for them. But it IS pretentious to laud that fact as a "selling" tool in order to make it more desireable to the general public. THAT is pretentious. And the fact that you went to all the trouble to look up those facts to appear smarter than me - is pretentious also!
Oh dear. Or maybe I should say Holy Cow! Cory's a nerd!! I wish I was one of those pampered cows even if it meant I was going to get eatin in the end.
Yes massaging a cow is absurd...but i wouldn't mind trying one in a taste test against a non massaged, non alcoholic drinking cow. Cory that was a lot of fancy words and Japanese talk for a small town farm boy from South Weber. And if the waiter was so concerned about white napkins why does the restraunt even have them? Hey i just thought about that old restraunt that was Dai-an Kuta (sp?) on the top of 89 that has changed it's name to Kobe. What does Kobe mean? It's Hudson's good friends name and the name of the biggest jerk in the NBA right now but in Japaneses does it have some meaning for beef?
That is awesome that the original guy was in the play. Is he really old now? I have never seen it...just some bits on TV when i was young...i was never into stuff like that but my sister loved it!
Post a Comment