Saturday, May 2, 2009
The Scene of the "Bumping"
I was driving home from work yesterday and stopped at a left turn light. I guess I should admit I was looking down in my wallet to see how much money I had (thinking of getting some fast food) when I somehow crept forward at an imperceptible rate and slightly bumped the truck in front of me. I am not exaggerating that it was really nothing at all! Anyway, I jumped out of my car as the guy in front of me got out of his truck. I noticed that he was in uniform. My first thought was "oh great, I hit an off duty officer." Actually - he was an on duty officer in an unmarked car! Of all the cars on the road I happen to slightly bump into a constable! (But, if we would have made that left hand turn I probably would have gotten a speeding ticket anyway - because I wouldn't have known he was a policeman and so of course I would have been speeding!) I digress, we both got out of our cars and we both agreed - not even a scratch! My rubber bumper hit his tow hitch (so I didn't even actually bump his truck at all!). Then he proceeds to get on his radio, which he is holding, and call it in. I ask if we can move our cars over into the gas station right in front of us - so we can move out of every one's way. He tells me that since this is a county vehicle he is not allowed to move it until officers come to the "scene" and investigate. Seven patrol cars (plus three tow trucks!)come one by one to the "scene" and all agree - not one scratch! They are laughing and apologizing to me for making me sit there in the middle of a traffic jam - created by this - and investigate. And when I say investigate, I mean take all kinds of photos from every possible angle - OF NOTHING!!!! After 45 minutes of this nightmare - with drivers rubbernecking to look at me and the nonexistent "accident" - he finally allows me to pull into the gas station where his colleague proceeds to give me a ticket. This old guy even tells me it was poor luck because if I had bumped anyone else it would have been nothing, but since it was a county vehicle and all that crap they are required to follow a set procedure! They were all very nice and blamed everything on government red tape etc, so it was hard to be mad. I still can't help thinking that perhaps I was given a "bumping" ticket only to be saved from getting a speeding ticket. Does anyone know if I ended up with the less expensive ticket?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Oh dear! Unfortunately I do know that you did end up with the less expensive ticket. Although speeding tickets depend on how much over the limit you're going. My "following too close" ticket was less then my speeding ticket I got. About half the cost actually so you can consider your little incident a blessing.
PS Yes, I've come to terms with the fact that I'm a really bad driver. Not to worry, David has taken it upon himself to train me until my skills improve.
my mom has been talking about this post all weekend. sounds like rotten luck to me.
Well what was she saying about it?
I was just telling everyone about your "incident" and how bad I felt about it. What luck!
That is ridiculous! Why didn't he just get back in his truck and drive away like anyone else would do? No one would have known about it if he didn't call it in. They just like to think they are cool. Cause he didn't have to follow the "red tape" if no one knew about it and his conscience could have free of guilt considering he would have saved the state time and money and you from a ticket!
I have had plenty of speeding tickets over my lifetime...and like Shaury a following too close ticket too. Larry always says I'm a bad driver. BUT...I've never been in an accident. I think i'm just a fast driver and really good at it. :) I haven't had a ticket in years though...they usually come in 3's for me and before I was married it almost got to the point i had to take a defensive drivers class but they have all fallen off my record now and I'm just lucky to get away with my speeding on a daily basis!
P.S. Your new red background really fits you. You look good in red, (so does Cam) and you are a leader. Nice choice.
What a great story! I'm sorry you got a ticket, though. I think the worst part would be wasting 45 minutes with a bunch of cops and tow truck drivers. And I think the most expensive ticket in Texas is running a red light. Yes, I'm speaking from experience.
What a crazy story!! Thanks for sharing your "incident" with us...
Post a Comment