Last Tuesday I got my haircut at a new place. (If I liked it more I would have posted a picture, it's just okay.) When I went in a lady led me up to another woman sitting at her stall. They whispered some words to each other and then the woman sitting down stood up and whispered to me that her name was "Mary" and how do you do, blah blah. I said, as I was sitting my purse down and getting situated in the chair "what happened to your voice?". She pointed to her neck and whispered that she had a tracheotomy. THEN I noticed the little scarf thingy that covered the apparatus. I felt like the moron that I am - while I said before thinking about it, "Oh, I thought you had laryngitis!" She whispered "I wish!". She was nice about it - it might happen all the time, but I was disturbed by my gaffe! But then I thought to myself. . . why would that have come to my mind? I haven't ever known anyone who had a tracheotomy - my only contact has been that old commercial that they used to show about not smoking. I don't get out much! Plus her scarf thingy was really cute and trendy and very discreet. (Alright, there was a little bit of a darth vader sound when she took a breath, but I didn't notice it right off.)
P.S. I really never could hear or understand very much when she talked to me while cutting my hair - I pretty much just kept nodding and smiling - Cory said I should have told her I had a hearing problem (instead of nodding and smiling) because I could have ended up with some really bad hair.
3 comments:
It sounds like the lady was probably glad you didn't notice her situation. I wouldn't worry too much about it just knowing that she deals with it everyday with everyone she meets.
what a great story for a blog. I wouldn't worry too much about it, either. I'm sure it's something she has to explain on a daily basis.
I miss you--let's do lunch or something. I have some funny stories for you and I need to vent. I have Thursday free--how 'bout you?
Post a Comment