Friday, September 18, 2009
My Secret
People ask me how I have time to read so much. I guess I will share my secret(s). First of all, I am a super fast reader. I don't have the best retention - especially if I thought the book was just okay, but I do tend to plow through books pretty rapidly. I am also very proud to say that I don't watch TV anymore. I can't remember the last time I turned on the TV in my room. It was probably 5 months ago! I was wasting too much time and then not having time for the things I needed to accomplish - so I stopped cold turkey. It has made a big difference. I don't even watch the news anymore! Alright, Cam did get me hooked on Big Brother half way through the season - but that is over now and I am back on track! But my biggest secret to getting through so many books is that I listen to books on tape in my car. I always have one in - I don't listen to the radio anymore at all. I reserve them at the library and make sure that I always have one to listen to. I drive to work and back every day - and other errands listening to books. You would be surprised at how much time you spend in the car! When Cam and I used to spend so much time in the car going to baseball stuff - we always enjoyed listening to various books. (Jim Dale, who reads the Harry Potter series on tape is one of the best readers ever! But then, I am a sucker for an English accent.) When I drove here from LA - I listened to several books. Sometimes they are so good I bring them in the house with me and listen while I iron or get ready in the morning. But normally I leave them just for the car. There are some books, I would say classics for sure that were meant to be read aloud - like Dickens for example. Anyway, my secret is that. I always have at least two books going - one on tape and one in book form.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I listen to books at work constantly. I couldn't do my job without them, and I probably wouldn't get much read without them either. Just listened to a great Maeve Binchy one, can't remember the name of it right now, but I thought of you...also listened to gulliver's travels which I'm glad to check off my list...I probably wouldn't ever take the time to read the book, but listening to it was great! amazing that it was written in the 1700's! Love the Harry Potters on tape, too. Jim Dale is the best. I go through all of them about once a year, too. We have them on our ipod now. Anne of Green Gables is great on tape, too. listen to that one if you haven't...the reader does an excellent job...Love this post! :)
Oh nice secret, I like secrets. I tried Harry Potter on tape once but my kids are too noisy in the car. I will probably try again when they're old enough to listen along. Thanks for the good idea. Oh & give me a brownie point for trying to listen to the BoM on tape too.
Shaury - that is something I haven't done - but you have impressed me very much and now perhaps I will.
We listen to books on tape on long car drives but just can't do it around town. You've inspired me--maybe one day I'll be there.
My secret--We're moving into a TV phase. We've ordered uverse--should be up and running next week. We're blaming it on football season.
My secret is reading in bed too...I don't have a TV in my room but no matter how late it is I can't sleep without reading first. But i'm slow reader..i sometimes have to go back and re-read stuff. My mind wanders too much..probably cause i need to talk about my day to Larry to get it off my chest but he's not much of a talker. He does usually start talking to me when i'm reading tho! annoying. ha ha
I hadn't read Shaury's before i commented..Larry bought me the triple combination on CD and I have listened to a lot of it..not all. I use to listen to a lot of books on tape while working. Loved it. I just read the Sunflower by Richard Paul Evans..fast easy read...good story. Thought it was too far fetched sometimes but then i find out it is a true story. ha ha
Post a Comment