Monday, January 4, 2010

My 5 Favorite Books of 2009

This is the short list of my favorite books from the list of those that I read during 2009:

1. These is my Words - Nancy E. Turner - who knows what it is about a book that makes you love it? This book was amazing to me because it made me so happy while reading it and it was a real treat just picking it up each time. I enjoyed it so much and related to it so much.

2. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier - I loved this, don't know why it hit me like it did, but I always say "there is a reason that a classic is a classic". This really stands the test of time.

3. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy - same as above! Love being lost in another time - different restraints and cares.

4. A Great and Terrible Beauty - Libba Bray - really the whole series. I was entranced by this series. It seems a little out of this world now that I am remembering it - but at the time it was all I could think about. A lot like Harry Potter except the main character is a girl.

5. The Virgin's Lover - Phillippa Gregory - I had to put one of her books on here - I really enjoyed them all and at this moment cannot fully distinguish between them all that well - but I do remember that the name bothered me about this but the story was wonderful and explained a lot about Elizabeth.

Honorable Mentions: The Luxe Series - Anna Godbersen - Another series that I LOVED and could not wait for the next installment. I actually just finished Splendor last night!

and The Bonesetter's Daughter - Amy Tan - always a fan of coming to terms with our heritage and relationships between mothers and daugters. Wonderful!

Starting a new year! Looking forward to new experiences, insights and perspectives that can only come from reading!

4 comments:

Becky A said...

I almost bought a great and terrible beauty for Abby for christmas....I knew I had heard about it somewhere. Is it appropriate for a 13 year old?

pcb said...

It is very appropriate! She will love it.

calmrapids said...

Thanks for the book list. You always have good recommendations. The only one on your list that I've read is Tess and that is a favorite. About halfway done with The Actor and the Housewife and I love the wit and humor. Fun book!

Angela said...

Couldn't finish "These is my words"..and never heard of any of the others. I'll have to try some tho. I can't even remember all the books I've read this year. Maybe i'm getting Alzheimers. HA I'm reading The Host by Stephanie Myer. Strange but interesting.