Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Eagle Project Phase Two

Alright, so there will be more than two phases to this project. It is coming along and (I don't want to jinx anything) it looks like it will be completed, hopefully the last day of July when Cam and I will drive the load up to Dallas. Last Wednesday night for the YM's activity everyone showed up here at our house, to go back out into the neighborhood and pick up the shoes. They had left fliers the previous Saturday to give folks time to gather them up. I have to say - our neighborhood rocks!!! We had soooo many shoes - way more than we thought we would get. In fact, Cory and I were worried that despite his best efforts he may not get many, and were wondering if the project would still be good if he didn't manage to collect all that many shoes. We were worrying for nothing - the neighborhood came through in a big way.



Here are Bro. Knowlton (YM Pres.) and two of the boys at the other end of our street collecting.


We had some ice-cream when we got done in the backyard - cause it was hot, hot, hot!





Cam and I did the sorting the next day in the garage. Cam is actually tying shoes together so that he can box them. We have one box ready to go, we have one that requires a trip to the laundromat, more huge piles waiting for bigger boxes and many many boxes of women's dress shoes that will need to go to a completely different organization. The place that Cam is collecting for only takes very comfortable (practical) shoes to ship to other countries (no pumps or thongs allowed).



So many shoes - our garage is still the holding point for all the shoes and it is getting a little inconvenient, we can barely make it to our cars. They just keep coming! Not only did the neighborhood respond well last Wednesday, they keep calling on the phone and asking if Cam can come and pick up more shoes! It makes me feel like I need to do something to thank our neighbors for all their support - hopefully they will feel good about "giving" and that will be enough.

3 comments:

Elder and Sister Birt said...

Wow that is awesome! What a great community you have...people are good everywhere, it's heartwarming. Way to go Cam, lots of good work.

Becky A said...

Sounds like it went (is still going?) great! Awesome!

calmrapids said...

Wow--that is SO awesome! I'm sure Cam is feeling great about the good he's doing and hopefully you are too!!!