Thursday, July 29, 2010

Rome, Italy - July 2010

After Cam graduated, Cory asked him if he wanted to take a trip before he leaves home? Much to our amazement Cam said he would like to go to Italy. We have taken quite a few trips in the last 11 years and Cam has never wanted to leave the US - so we were quite surprised by this request, I have been to Rome before but I was entirely on board for another visit!

Day #1

We arrived around 7:30 am. That was actually planned - so that we would have the whole day. The flight was overnight and if you can sleep on a plane then this would be ideal. I however, (and Cameron) find that extremely difficult. Even having been in first class where the seats recline and are much larger, still no sleep! We took the Leonardo Express (a shot of Cory and Cam asleep on the train - which was extremely slow and kind of lulled you to sleep),




into Rome proper and then walked a very long way to our hotel. By the time we got there we really wanted to check in - who wouldn't right? But they wouldn't let us check in early, so we had to sit in the lounge and wait until noon. We finally got into our room at the Hotel Medici - which was very nice for European standards. Everything and everyone was wonderful except for that one icky lady that never helped us with any request our entire stay! We decided to take a nap. It was a few hours later and Cam could not wake up - so Cory and I went off in search of an ATM maching to pick up some euros and some metro passes at the main train station.


Along our walk - Rome has these really neat fountains everywhere - you see people filling up water bottles or splashing water on their faces all over town.


We saw a good deal that night just on our own. When we returned to the hotel we had to make Cam get up so that we could go get some dinner. We ate at a nice little restaurant, (with a sweetheart of a waitress who gave us all kinds of tips) across the street from our hotel and afterward took a walk up to Villa Borghese park to look for a running route for Cory to use the following morning.


Day #2

After Cory returned from his morning run (3 hours - he got lost) we went off in search of our Hop-on-Hop-off bus, we had researched the tickets the night before. We rode the entire route - it was hot, hot, hot! The tickets are good for 24 hours - so I always like to ride it once clear through - then go again and get off and on when the interest strikes you. But, it was really just plain too hot to be on that bus - the top section was in direct sunlight and the bottom didn't have air conditioning (really no place does in most of Europe).



After the tour we walked to the Hard Rock Cafe - Cory saw an advertisement that they had Eddie Van Halen's guitar there - big woop! I didn't argue because I knew they would probably have a good bathroom, air conditioning and some ice in thier drinks!

A giddy Cory with the must see guitar - I posted one photo out of many.

We are at the Barberini Metro stop on the same street as the Hard Rock by another fountain.

When we got back to our hotel we decided that with the heat exhaustion and the time difference we should take another nap and try to get adjusted. After a few hours, Cory and I were ready to go and Cam could not get up! An evening of just Cory and I. We decided to take the night time Hop-on bus, which was very nice as it had cooled down and was so pleasant on the open top story of the bus. This is a shot of the Colosseum from the bus.


When we got back to the hotel that night Cam was STILL asleep!

Day #3

We chose to go see the Colosseum on this day because it has a lot to it. We waited in long line for our tickets - but at least a shady, breezy line! We got the recorded guided tour and made our way all around the inside of the Colosseum.








A view of the Arch of Constantine from the upper levels of the Colosseum.


Cory and Cam outside the Colosseum - they had all kinds of gladiators that you could get your picture taken with - but for some reason they didn't want to.


The Arch of Constantine right outside the Colosseum.



Because by this time it was so hot, we decided not to walk the Palatine Hill or walk the Roman Form area. Instead, we took the metro to the Spanish Steps.



This is a view from the top - after climbing the steps.




From there - we walked down to the Trevi Fountain.




After this we went back to our hotel for our daily siesta (wrong country but you get the idea) and then we went out to eat dinner later that night. Cam was falling asleep in his food - as he did NOT take a nap when we did - there were only two evenings that he was out and about with us, well until about 6pm anyway. I stayed with him at the room so he could sleep while Cory went out exploring by himself. I think this was the night Cory became officially addicted to gelato - there was a really good gelato shop right around the corner from our hotel.

Day #4

This day was devoted to the Vatican and St. Peter's Square and Basilica - very long lines everywhere you turn! BUT - a strange thing happened in the Metro station. I was walking in front and put my pass in the machine and walked through the gates only to notice that no one was behind me. I went back a little and saw Cory and Cam going in the other direction. They didn't say anything to me at all (and they very easily could have!) - they just turned in the opposite direction. I was stuck on the other side of the gates and couldn't get back to them. I thought that Cory thought I was going the wrong way, but there was nothing I could do about it at this point - so I just continued on my course and got on the train. I was annoyed - because he is always second guessing me. Actually, I was kind of happy to be rid of him if that was how he was going to be. I knew he and Cam would be fine - and I had no doubt that I would be. So, we had some time where we went our separate ways. I went to St Peter's - as it is my favorite thing in Rome and I didn't want to wait in the Vatican's line which was fully two streets long!

St. Peter's Square.

St. Peter's Basilica.


These are some shots that Cory and Cam took while on their adventure alone. They did not want to wait in the St. Peter's line after they had waited so long in the Vatican line - so they didn't go inside the actual Basilica - just visited the Square.







After we visited our respective attractions we met up at the hotel - lovely air conditioning and a place to sit down! It turned out that Cory's and Cam's metro passes were incorrect and they couldn't get through the gates - so they were going back to get new tickets. Why they didn't just say that to me before turning around I have no idea. I guess they expected me to know that 2 out of 3 metro tickets were incorrect and what they were doing. It all worked out in the end anyway - a nice little respite to appreciate each other more.

Cam went to sleep - not to be wakened, again! Cory had researched the Best Pizza in Rome and found a place called Da Buffetto's Pizzaria - so we went in search of that -this is a piazza or plaza along the way.


This is Da Buffetto's - we sat right there outside. It is kind of like Seinfeld's Soup Kitchen - if you remember. They are very militant about where you sit and how you order. We were directed to sit at a table with some boys from a scandanavian country and an asian twosome. "Two person, two pizza! Two pizza, two person!" We repeated this phrase with our Italian accents for the rest of the trip - as the asian woman was belligerently told she could not share a pizza with her boyfreind - she had to order her own. They got the bill wrong, they were mean and we didn't get to sit where we wanted but the pizza was delicious and the experience was one I won't soon forget.


The trip was exhausting! We spent nearly two full days traveling. But we ate pizza and gelato and we saw history from before Christ's time. We were together for days without phones or real life and we had a blast - it is even clearer to me now that some of the jet lag is wearing off. We are blessed to have had the opportunity.

3 comments:

Elder and Sister Birt said...

What a wonderful experience for all of you! Jealous again!

calmrapids said...

Such a totally awesome trip! You are so lucky to be able to go just about anywhere you want. How funny that Cam slept so much! Great pictures! Loved it all!

Angela said...

Isn't it a pain to have to upload photo's to both blogger and fb? I wish they could figure out a way you could do both in one effort. ha ha Cam must really suffer from jetlag. ha ha I found it interesting that European employees can pretty much treat you any way and there is nothing you can do about it. Here we can't get away with stuff like that. You'd be turned in to BBB or worse. Glad Cam had this opportunity before he heads to college. :)