Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

I took this book on our trip to Italy - and I literally rationed it the entire time. I didn't want it to end - but I wanted something to read. It was a wonderful, moving and thought provoking book. I have known about the book for quite a long time as it has been on several must read blogs and lists - but it just didn't sound all that interesting to me because I usually avoid the black/white issue. But I was so wrong. I was absorbed in it - so captured by the questions and confusion of that time. I was a youth at this same time - except I was raised in California where I didn't see the side of de-segregation that was prevalent in the south. I think I understand better now about the confusion of being raised in a culture where love and hate for blacks are so connected. I enjoyed the voices - the perspectives that were given, and I was able to relate to all of them. Definitely one of the must reads for 2010!