Monday, August 16, 2010

Tri Girl Sprint Triathlon

Well - I guess you could say I accomplished one of my life goals yesterday. I have been wanting to do a triathlon since I was a teenager when my grandpa and I would time each other on the stationary bike and swimming laps and him walking/me jogging. I know he would have loved to have been able to do something like I was able to do yesterday - so he was on my mind all day, feeling that he was happy for me. It wasn't the distance I dreamed about doing - but hey, I'm 45 now and a few pounds heavier than I probably should be, so this distance will have to do. It was 300 meter swim, 11 mile bike and 3 mile run. It was a beautiful Texas morning, the whole thing was pretty fun and pretty satisfying.



I was fairly nervous going in - and the day before I was second guessing my decision to do it. If I hadn't already paid I might have backed out. I was even kind of hoping that Cory would forget to pick up my packet downtown so I would have a good excuse (and maybe someone else to blame). It all worked out. The part that makes you nervous is just not having ever done it before and not knowing exactly what to do and how everything is supposed to be. Cory was there - he helped with my bike (which is old and has some issues) and he navigated us to the event and he waited and watched and was a big support. In fact, over the years it has been Cory that has always encouraged me to do a triathlon - ever since the very first time I mentioned it to him probably 22 years or so ago. I also think he was a little more excited about it than me - cause I was just plain nervous.



The swim is first and it was the leg that I was the least worried about. But, I do train alone - so I really didn't know how my swimming stacked up against others. It turned out I got 9th in my age group (out of 32) and I definitely started far back in the pack. That wasn't swimming all out because we were the 3rd heat and there were a lot of people in that lake! I had hands all over me and my hands were all over some other people too. I kept thinking I was going to get the wind kicked out of me. The swim was fun though - I felt good getting out of that water and I knew I had done well.



The bike was next and I felt good going in. I peddled right along with everyone else - except my bike is a mountain bike and the gears apparently don't go as low as some others - the people on the touring bikes had the definite advantage. Do you know how discouraging it is to see some 300 lb. woman pass you not even sweating and you are pumping like crazy and nearly standing still (or that is what it seemed like). Cory would like to get me a good (expensive) bike but I can't see paying for a new bike at this stage in my life - even if I do 3 or 4 more of these. It just wouldn't be cost effective (I am married to an accountant, that's why I throw around phrases like that). Anyway - the bike was fine - a little beyond my control. I feel pretty confident that had all equipment been equal, I could have competed with the best of them. I am fairly strong on the bike. And I also want to add that I love my bike. It was a great bike when I bought it 21 years ago, I have been riding it for a long time and it has been very good to me - I think I am kind of defensive about it!



This is a shot of the transition area - it was kind of organized chaos with hundreds of bikes and every ones essentials laying around. My transition times were pretty good - between the bike and the run Cory didn't even see me go by and I yelled his name twice because I could see he was looking for me. (The batteries in the camera died - so I can't even prove that I finished, you will have to take my word.)

The run is last and this was the leg that I was most concerned about - you are kind of tired after the bike and your legs feel like jelly. I'm not an exceptional runner - although I do it and I enjoy it, I am well aware of my limitations. I knew what to expect and I took it very slow till I got my legs back under me. It was a nice feeling finishing and having the whole thing under my belt. My grandpa was on my mind the whole time and a couple of things that the announcer said prior to the race. He was talking about being thankful for our health and our ability to compete in the things we choose. I am thankful for my health and my life - and the support of my family. I also feel good being able to say that I did something I have always wanted to do.

3 comments:

Becky A said...

SO awesome. That is something I could never do, but if I did--I would be opposite of you. Swimming the worst, biking second worst, and running strongest. Although right now none of the 3 would be at all strong. Good for you--it must feel great to accomplish something you have been wanting to do for so long! :)

Elder and Sister Birt said...

Good for you Paige! What an amazing accomplishment.

calmrapids said...

You are my hero! You set a good example of setting goals and completing them! Good for you!!!