Well, when I arrived (plenty early - cause I am not familiar with that part of town and therefore gave myself plenty of time) I made my way to the door - and then up the stairs
(but not above a restaurant) to the smallest of what could only have been a very small apartment at one time, with no air conditioning (I think it was broken that day). The temperature in my car said it was 105 outside - so the upstairs of the old building was fairly warm. The rooms were super crowded with furniture arranged to be a waiting area and the reception desk and shelves of Chinese herbs just waiting to be concocted into remedies, and a curtained off area where someone was being acu-punctured, let me say again - SMALL! The woman in charge had her mom working as her receptionist - I know that cause she called her "mom". After I waited my turn - sheets changed, curtains parted, fans adjusted - I went in to the very tiny room and she told me to climb on the bed.
We had previously had our consultation where I told her my issues - hip pain caused by running, frequent irregularity, severe cramps with bloating etc. Let me just say this - very thorough history and consultation! The information I gave her determined where the needles were going to be placed. She went right to it, once I was laid out. She said she could tell some things by my pulse - but didn't tell me what they were. She looked at my tongue - said it was swollen and "pink" (I agreed) - but then said that it meant that maybe I was slightly dehydrated. I wondered what color my tongue was supposed to be?
Then she started putting the needles in - you could hardly feel it. She was kinda trying to talk me through it - but I assured her needles don't give me any pause - do your thing lady. She stuck one in each arm, at least one in each hand, one by each knee, at least one in each foot, 2 one each side of my stomach and one dead center in my forehead. If you are asking yourself why I don't know exactly how many needles she put it in me - it is as I already said - you could hardly feel it. Then she turned on some Asian sounding music and closed the curtain. I laid there trying to feel if I felt anything (if you know what I mean). I kind of dozed off a time or two until the music could make a weird noise and startle me out of it.
I started thinking it felt like a long time and then my mind was wandering about what I would do if they left the building and I had to get up and find the needles and remove them before any of them bent or caught on anything and how I would accomplish this. Then I started thinking - how long would I lay there before I actually did get up (if they had left me). Would I lay there an hour? 3 hours? What is the normal amount of time to wait for the person administering acupuncture to you, to be away. I was trying to mentally telepathy-ize her to come back in and get me because my queries were starting to cause me some anxiety. I was in there for a full half hour. When she came in she promptly removed all pins - (I asked if she had ever forgotten to take a pin out and she admitted that she had). Then she proceeded to do some massaging and stretching of my head, neck and shoulders - which felt amazing - (it had a special name, which I do not remember)I would have gone just for that! Then it was over.
It has been two days now, and I have to admit I feel pretty good. Yesterday was my yard day and I am usually kind of worn down after that - but I feel great! I don't think I would mind going again even. I think I may ask for that again for my birthday!
4 comments:
Sounds interesting.
very interesting. I love your thought process when you wondered if you had been left there. hahahhaha!
Ok, So were you nervous when you're going up those narrow, worn out stairs? And then, did you know that you would be left laying there with needles poking out of you? You're brave to try something so out there! Of course, maybe it's not so out there anymore.
So I'm curious to know if they always put the needles in the same place. If your hip hurts wouldn't they just focus on that area? And how does it really work. Are they hitting nerves or is there medicine on the tips. ha ha Ask that stuff for me the next time you go. The one in your forehead sounds painful...so close to the bone!
Post a Comment