Thursday, December 25, 2008

10 Things I Love About Christmas

1. The Commonality - everyone (seemingly everyone) is celebrating something during this month of the year, which creates an anticipation in the air. I think because of these meaningful holidays people are generally nicer and more outgoing.

2. Decorations - the lights and pretty colors of Christmas can improve almost any surrounding. For those people who put in the extra effort on their houses and yards - I really appreciate it!

3. Greetings - I love to hear people say "Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanzaa" or whatever. I just love that at this time of the year people say something! I love the acknowledgement that we give others at this time of year, because for some reason we don't for the other 11 months.

4. Christmas specific treats - this applies to things like Egg Nog, Christmas Cookies, Fudge, Dreams (some of you South Weber people know what I'm talking about), Pumpkin Roll etc. . . It seems like we go to a little extra effort to prepare these items because it's Christmas.

5. Cheesy apparel - at this time of the year you see some awesome sweaters, ties, socks and shirts, not to mention the accessories like earrings, necklaces or pins. I get a kick out of all of it!

6. Christmas Music! - I love that we are all listening to the Christmas station in our cars and at the stores they pipe in the holiday tunes for us. We all get to break out our Christmas CD's and everyone is humming some kind of Christmas favorite. It just adds to the feeling of togetherness.

7. Memories - I love that each of us have our own Christmas memories. Sometimes we want to share them, sometimes we don't, but we each have them to cherish. Sometimes we want to try and recreate them for our kids, or to remind our parents of this one, or to tease our siblings about that one, or maybe to honor someone we love that we have lost. It seems like a time of year for reminiscing.

8. Car Decorations - I wish I had some. I think these are the folks that have gone the extra mile. Car decorations are proof that they like Christmas more than the average person.

9. Christmas Movies - I love "It's a Wonderful Life" and "A Christmas Story" and "A Christmas Carol" as well as "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and the rest of the holiday cartoons that were so prevalent in my youth. They make the season more complete and they all share a common message - that Christmas has a deeper meaning than the commercial.

10. Time Off - I love that things shut down for Christmas. Most people get time off to spend with family. Everything family is acceptable and encouraged at this time of year.

4 comments:

Becky A said...

I was thinking about this on the way home last night...(that super long drive :) ) How it's nice to think that (almost) everyone had a day off on Christmas! Such a fun time of year, I'm sad to see it end!
And don't forget, it's great to have families come together when they don't get to see each other the rest of the year! :)

Angela said...

Parks pointed out an SUV with antlers on each side and a red nose on the grill. Makes ya feel "all warm and fuzzy inside".
I love the old music too like Gene Autry and Bing Crosby. I love the decorations I have! It makes the house so cozy and cute. And I love the Christmas movies too. I'm sad we didn't watch Christmas Story at my moms yesterday. It's tradition to have it on in the background! Larry is outside snowblowing and Cory stopped from his run to talk...they've been talking for at least 30 min! Good for them! :) Hope to see you at the Jazz game tonight.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Angie said...

So guess what? I hate guitar hero! I played it once for about an hour cuz my friend kept saying I'd get used to it and I never did. I also got booed off time after time. I was thinking of trying the drums on the rock band game to see if I'm totally musically disabled or just on guitar.
Maybe if we ever get together, I could talk you into trying mario kart or the american idol singing game, which I did surprisingly okay at. You have no idea how much I disliked video games before the wii so you too, could be converted.
I also normally love the same things you do about Christmas so maybe your positive energy will transfer to me next holiday. I think it was just a hard year for me to get through, ugh. I'll go listen to Robbie now :)