Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A disappointing Christmas

When I was 10 and in 4th grade I had a friend named Shawn Neal. I used to go over to her house occasionally. On one of those occasions pretty close to Christmas I learned a big lesson. When we got to Shawn's house I marvelled at her family's pretty Christmas tree and the many presents under it. She asked me if I wanted to see what she was getting for Christmas. Of course, I said I was. She then proceeded to open each and every gift addressed to her. She was very careful, if not expert in her peeling back of the tape - careful not to tear the wrapping paper. She slid the box carefully out of the paper, opened it and looked inside. Then, after having looked the gift over thoroughly, gingerly slid it back into the paper (the two other tapes still fastened) and proceeded to fold and re-tape the end. No one would even be able to tell she had done anything. We looked at each item she would receive that upcoming Christmas morning. It felt sneaky and undeniably exciting.

When I was walking home from Shawn's house I remember thinking how I couldn't wait to get home and see what I would be getting for Christmas. I did the exact same thing with each and every present addressed to me. I was very careful. No one ever caught me - no one ever suspected a thing. But, on Christmas morning I already knew what was in every box. I had one surprise and that was my gift from Santa, which I don't even remember now. But I do remember what a disappointment that particular Christmas was. I never did that again. The lesson that I learned was that part of the joy of Christmas is the anticipation of it. I learned to savor that anticipation. So, yes I do like to try and guess my presents, shake them, feel them and even to look for hidden packages around the house. But, I really don't want to know what I am getting - I just like building the feeling of anticipation.

5 comments:

Becky A said...

I agree. My brothers showed me smurf roller skates under my parents bed one year, and another year we looked in their closet. Wendy and I got caught that year, and I remember feeling SO sad! Mom gave us a little lecture while Christmas music was playing in the background, and to this day I can't listen to the Oakridge Boys Christmas without that guilty feeling coming back! It made me sick every time I heard it the rest of that year!

Angela said...

I looked in my mom's closet and found a pair of PJ's when I was 8. Then she put them out from Santa so I knew. It ruined everything. I have never been one to snoop either. That was my first and last time. I like surprises. I don't even like to feel them or shake them. My aunt and uncle gave us a puzzle every year. I hated it when I could hear what it was as they placed it under the tree even though it was a tradition and I KNEW it was a puzzle. I didn't want to hear it.

Shaury said...

Good story! I must confess, pretty much every year I snoop to see what I'll be getting (even now / don't tell David). I'm still just as excited come Christmas morning because I usually can't wait to get what it is I know I'll be getting. I hate not knowing, not being about to sleep the night before, & the snooping is so much fun.

Angie said...

I guess my mom was a good hider cuz I tried a couple times but failed at finding presents early. Sounds like its a good thing I did. Becky, too funny about a song remembering when with the Oak boys. Paige, how long are you here?

calmrapids said...

I remember my oldest brother taking me outside, opening the trunk of our big, wide Plymouth and telling me to look, "There's all of our Christmas presents right there." He always had to be the first one to tell. He was such a surprise spoiler and still is.