Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas Letters

My husband and I used to make fun of Christmas letters. They just seemed so annoyingly perky and like the person was bragging about their family, accomplishments and how great life is for them. The letters sometimes make it seem as if nothing bad ever happens in these peoples lives.
So, last night I completed our annual Christmas letter. (I know, it seems hypocritical doesn't it?) I think I mentioned we "used to make fun" of them, we don't anymore. Now, we almost always find them enjoyable. We live far away from both of our families and lots of our friends. We don't get to see the people we love all that often and the annual letters (in both directions) help us to feel a part of the lives of the people that we miss. I know that bad things do happen to these people and to us - but is a Christmas letter really the right forum for bad news? As for the bragging - it is just a highlight of the previous year and therefore seems natural that those highlights would be "positive" things (ie: accomplishments). Basically, I am now defending the annual Christmas letter. It is too hard to write to each person we send Christmas cards to telling them what is going on in our lives. Since we have lived in a number of places - we send out a lot of cards. But - it is still important for my Aunt in Idaho or Cory's old work associate in California to know that we think of them and feel it is important enough to let them know how we are faring in Houston, how we spend our time and how our son is growing up. But most of all to let them know that at this special time of year we remember them, love them and wish them the season's best. I know that we enjoy feeling those sentiments from the letters that we receive!

5 comments:

Angela said...

I too love Your chrismtas letter. My sister started hers quite a few years ago when they moved over seas and it was a great way to keep her friends updated. We did about 2 of those letters. They were fun. Larry is usually behind them. He can word things better than I and remembers more. But I don't think we have one on the "to do list" this year. Nothing wrong with telling about the good things in life right. I agree Christmas is not the time to go on about bad things. Unless it is the only thing that has happened. So excited to have you guys before Christmas. I think it will be more relaxing and you will be involved in more family traditions. I'll have you know I cancelled Tierra's wisdom teeth extraction just so she can go do baptisms with Cam. :) Summer break will be better anyway for her to be bedridden and not eating good food. ha ha

Becky A said...

you must be doing your letter right now! Can't wait to read it... :)

Shaury said...

I love your Christmas letters. I think the good news is only irritating to me because when I'm miserable I don't like to hear how great everyone else is. You know, "misery loves company."

pcb said...

You guys don't know how much I am looking forward to coming up this Christmas! We will still be in anticipation mode - not the after Christmas "352 days till next Christmas" mode like we usually are. I still can't decide when we should open our presents here????

Angie said...

Paige, thanks for commenting on my blog. I knew who you were before you explained yourself. I think we met at a softball game well over 10years ago?? And I remember getting a surprise Christmas card in the mail from you guys a couple years ago and thinking how nice that was. I love Christmas cards! Steve enjoys knowing what Cory is up to so we appreciate your family Christmas letter and I don't recall yours being one that we make fun of, cuz we do that sometimes :)
Glad to hear I have another matchbox fan in the blogworld too!