Monday, December 1, 2008
When to Decorate
There seems to be some question about when it is acceptable to decorate for Christmas, at least in my family. Growing up we always had to wait until after the 20th (my brother's birthday) to decorate. I hated it! I wanted lights and pretty decorations up as soon as Thanksgiving was over. There are tons of December birthdays in my family, and the thought was that they should not be short changed or lumped in with Christmas. They should be able to have a birthday that stands alone. But my mom would then leave the decorations up well into February - ignoring the fact that my birthday was spent amid Christmas decorations (it's in January). Another one of those unfair trivialities from childhood. My mother is still annoyed by the fact that Christmas music is played in stores and decorations are up right after Halloween. I say the longer they are there the better! I love the anticipation of it all. But when Christmas is over - I want all things Christmas down and put away post haste! I say to each his own - enjoy the seasons decorations whenever or wherever you wish. I am putting mine up today!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Well then you are late. ha ha
I like Christmas put up the very day after Thanksgiving. Mainly because time flies a lot faster than it did when we were children. My mom said they didn't put theirs up until the 20th either but it seemed like it lasted forever to her. Thanksgiving was late this year so I think I've already missed out a bit. Larry is very stubborn about not putting up our house lights until after Thanksgiving. We just had a lighting ceremony last night. It was hilarious because he made a huge deal, kids had to close their eyes and all, and then ba-ding, one string of lights across the roof. ha ha Not like the Griswalds. I say hang them while it's warm but we don't have to turn them on yet. gees. I'm never in the mood to put it all away. Every year I'm fascinated that I have so many decorations and I love them. Merry Christmas and hope to see you Christmas day!
I like to just have it the day after thanksgiving until new year's day. I think it makes it more special that it is only for that one month.
Hilarious that your family wouldn't decorate because of december birthdays, but still had it up for your birthday! That makes me laugh. Sooo...my question is, are you going to clean it up before you come up this year even though it's before Christmas, or wait till you get home the day after?
Post a Comment