I hate to be political and I can think of a few people that read my blog that might be offended (sorry Angie, you know I like you!) but with today being Inauguration Day I thought I would share some of my thoughts on everything going on in Washington today.
First, I wish someone (SOON) in the political world would have enough gumption to stop all the huge blowout parties (conventions and inaugurations etc) that cost so dang much money! It screams WASTEFUL! We could probably solve the education problems, maybe find a solution to the homeless situation or even put a dent in lifting the economy if that money were better spent! The hideous hollywood folk that attend these galas can help foot the bill - they make up a good portion of the elite guest lists anyway - and heaven knows they have lots of disposable income.
I like Obama - he seems like an articulate and an honorable man. He also seems like he has a good marriage - which is important to me. I must say that I liked those same qualities in Bush (alright, he may be a little less articulate).
The black population are acting like THEY have done something, which is kind of divisive in my mind. They haven't done anything by themselves - plenty of people voted for Obama who aren't of color. I guess in my mind it never had anything to do with his color in the first place. I hated the idea all along that some were voting for him simply because he is black. Which is just as wrong as NOT voting for him just because he is black! I am not surprised that a black guy is president, I guess I assumed that it could and would happen.
Now that the Dems are in control we are all supposed to unite and get behind their guy. Some people have been saying that about Bush for the last 8 years! Bush never got a fair shake - he had those crappy Dems in his face from day one with a big axe to grind about Gore! This bothers me. I thought Bush had some of the biggest problems in any presidency ever! (with the least amount of support). 9-11 which changed everything, and in my mind started the entire financial crisis (but then my husband works for an airline what do I know?) AND I will go to my grave defending Bush about Katrina. How in the bleep is the President of the U.S. responsible - first for a hurricane in Louisiana - but then for the aid that flows (or fails to flow) into the area? There were so many levels of government between Nagin and Bush it isn't even funny! Sure the Federal Government needed to step in and help people but there are so many organizations that are responsible for that (ie; Red Cross, FEMA etc) the president is not the fall guy for all government organizational failures. That has made me angry since it happened. The democrats did a masterful job at placing the blame on Bush though (while Nagin and Blanco walked away fairly clean). When we have a republican in office we are divided, but when a young hip dem steps into office its "com'on folks - we need to stick together!"
I am going to support Obama. There was never a question about that. I hope he does well and I really want him to succeed - if he does, we all benefit. I will not be among those who turn on him easily (just as I wasn't for Bush) - he will have a hard job with millions of people to consider. I am scared about terrorist threats and his "give money to anyone who asks" approach. I also don't like how some self-interest groups are acting like he is their savior and will change everything that needs to be changed. I'm talking about gay marriage, stem cell research, abortion etc. If he has the nerve to follow the dictates of his own conscience (or what he has shared with us about his beliefs) we should be fine - I hope he won't be swayed by his party's extremists.
Those are my thoughts on the subject. I will not watch all of the coverage today because the waste (which by no means is unique to Obama) and the spectacle of it make me want to vomit! (I say the same thing about the waste of money on the Super Bowl Halftime show - another post altogether.) But I will say "Good Luck Obama!". I am an American and you are my President - I support you.
7 comments:
At our house we are watching all the hoopla. I think it is educational for my kids, and definitely a historic day. in fact, we are having our own little party.
I, too, will support Obama as our president, and I am anxious to see when the changes begin.
I agree. Go Obama, now's your chance man.
I didn't vote for him and I don't like him.
I like Bush. I think he was faced with horrible things that no other president has ever had to deal with. To my knowledge at least. I think all in all, he did well.
Having said that....I fully intend to support and sustain Obama as long as he leads us as righteously as possible. He is our president and I will teach my children to respect him as such. We don't have to agree, but we need to be respectful when we disagree.
We shall see....
Do you remember four years ago all the whiners complained when Bush spent 40 mil on his second innaugeration? But now, this is an historic celebration and 160 mil is not enough! OH--and lil' cool J was the star reporter covering the event??? please!
But I do have faith in Obama. He can make some good changes. I am nervous about him being in charge with a crisis of some kind. I hope he surrounds himself with good, smart people.
I believe Obama could quite possibly be the smartest president this country has ever had.
Interesting to see his shift to the right since being elected. It's already causing issues with his partymates in Congress and the effort to settle on a stimulus package.
It's the best of Keynesian economics ... let's spend our way out of the recession. Grand idea. It didn't work in the US in the 1930's or in Japan in the late 1980's.
Maybe all the guys being freed from Gitmo can somehow stimulate the economy. Hey, if they blow a bunch of stuff up, won't that create the need to build it back up and, therefore, create new jobs?
I respect the office of the president. I too am hopeful that President Obama is successful. I fear that I will disagree with many of his policies but I'm willing to give them a try.
There are no excuses now. The Man is the man and he has both houses of Congress solidly on his side of the aisle. There are no excuses not to get things done!
Well, today he took off the ban on federal funds being used for abortions - that doesn't look good. So now not only do embryos get destroyed but the taxpayer pays for it! I'd say that is solidly along party lines.
wow paige, I think on this I totally agree with you. I think your post was very interesting.
Post a Comment