Why does everyone always hate on January? It has been said that the suicide rate is the highest in January. People always talk about how in January those Christmas bills start rolling in and contribute to people's skyrocketing depression. I also hear lots of complaining about what a dreary month January is (in some parts of the country) - so the weather may also play a part in the dissing of January.
Since my birthday is in January I have always felt a little defensive about these comments. It isn't January's fault that the holidays didn't meet your expectations and you want to kill yourself. It isn't January's fault that you spent too much money on Christmas and now can't pay the piper. It isn't January's fault that it happens to be cold in the part of the country where you choose to live.
January is about fresh starts and new beginnings! It is about resolutions, great after Christmas sales, getting back into a normal routine after the holiday bustle, football playoffs and bowl games (used to be about the Superbowl too), Martin Luther King, the Chinese New Year (alright those last two are stretching it) and many popular winter sports which require snow and ice. Where I live the weather is some of the prettiest of the year. Sometimes it is 75 degrees on my birthday! So, give January a break - it is just a necessary measure of time.
6 comments:
January Sucks!!
Just kidding! Hey, it's suppose to get up to 78 today...January 3rd. That's crazy!
I hope you have a Happy Birthday.
January does suck (ha ha), but now that we have a January birthday in our immediate family I'm starting to like it a little more. It's mostly the cold Utah weather that I done't like January for.
I knew before I finished reading this that you'd defend it because of your birthday. :) But my birthday is in February and I still hate that month because of the cold. I don't hate it as much as January though, ha ha because it is getting closer to spring. You're right though. If I lived in Hawaii I'm sure I wouldn't mind January as much. I just told that same line to Larry today since the temperature was 18 degrees for the high! But it is still a big let down after the holidays. I'm wishing you a very Happy Birthday, early and I hope it is warm and sunny on your big day. :)
Love Ang
Angela you are one of the people I was thinking about when I wrote this - you always talk bad about January (and it hurts my feelers! JK) - Saturday it was 83 and we had the air on! I guess you need to come visit.
January is also good to ..hhmmm, can't think of anything... clean the house? evaluate your life? try out some resolutions, knowing you'll give them up in March? J/K! Nothing's wrong with January! It helps you appreciate the rest of the year!
I don't have anything against January. I like new beginnings, and of course my boy's birthday is in January, too! :)
Post a Comment