Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Blankie

Yep! I'm 44 years old and I have a blankie! I must be somewhat ashamed, since here I am explaining why and how I have it. I DO NOT seem like the kind of person who has a stuffed animal or blanket and I never have been, not even in my infancy or toddler hood. When Cam came along he was given the requisite blankets that go along with babies. Babies need more blankets than adults because they get them soiled (in all kinds of ways) more often. Anyway, when Cam came along Becky made him this blanket with Sesame Street fabric. It is one of those half blankets - like the size of only the top of a twin bed. It has been washed a lot (the soiling thing that I mentioned). Cam did have an affinity toward this blanket - but he was really not one who had a blanket either (a small stuffed Barney, now that is a different blog - he regrets loving that Barney vehemently!) Anyway, this blanket was put away for a few years because Cam moved into bigger and longer beds (and blankets) because of his height. Somehow the blanket came back into the forefront a few years back when I needed just a little something extra. Cory is a human heater and I am always cold. This blanket, because of it's unique size is just the ticket! I can have it on my side of the bed without causing any imposition to Cory. He and I joked in the early days of this attraction (toward the blankie) about the Sesame Street theme, but there is no joke anymore. I love this blanket! I need this blanket. Cory is jealous of this blanket, he tries to use it sometimes and he enjoys the feel of it as much as I do. But, if this behavior is within my line of vision I grab it back and throw him something else! It is so soft and cushy (who knows what makes one blanket feel better than others, but it happens). Anyway, this is a full fledged love-affair with a blanket now. I really want to take it on trips with me - and if I don't need it for warmth I still kinda roll it up and put it near my face so I can smell it at night. I know it is weird - but it is comforting and it's not like I'm relying on drugs to get some sleep - I just need this blankie. I do wish it had more of an adult theme though.

8 comments:

Becky A said...

That is funny. I'm honored that I made the fabulous piece o' love, though.

queenbee4 said...

I think it's perfectly fine for you to have a blankie. As far as Cory goes- a little jealousy is good for the soul.

Angela said...

Tell Cam I remember the Barney! Larry is also a heater and I'm always cold too so I put an extra blanket on top of my side. Larry says I always feel hot, I guess that's all my heat coming out, I wish it would stay in!
Anyway about your last blog and numbers. I got into numerology at the IRS a few years ago because a man in my unit had a book about it. Every letter has a numerical value so I did your name to see what it would be. (I no longer have what the numbers mean though). You dont have a middle name do you (besides your maiden name). But I thought you might find it interesting that your birthday 1-9-1965...if you add them all up to a single digit they equal 4. As does Cory's full name. I have more to say but I don't know how much a comment will hold so I'm going to start a new comment. lol

Angela said...

I have a new favorite number as of our family scripture study 2 nights ago. I never realized how much the Lord uses the number 12. Their are 12 apostles, 12 tribes of Israel, 12 witnesses to the B of M (counting J.S.), and in Revelations there will be 144,000 sealed, which represents 12,000 from each of the 12 tribes. Since 21 was my favorite number but too popular, I realized 21 backwards is 12 so I love the number 12. And I can't wait to find out the significance of that number. (it also helps that John Stockton was number 12 and one of my favorite BB players!)

Cory said...

I have never used the Sesame Street blanket!

You should blog about your heating pad and Cam's Ernie.

pcb said...

There is a difference between not being "allowed" to use it and not using it. You have TRIED using it and you are not allowed! You know you want it though.

Shaury said...

Yes I see Cory chose his words carefully that he never used it, but we all know he's wanted to. :) We Rice's love a good blankie. All my babies have had a favorite.

calmrapids said...

Blankies are very important at our house. All the kids have one or more. Stef's baby quilt has totally worn out and is now only a threadbare quilt top with a few strings of ragged yarn tied here and there. There is no batting and no backing. There is still a little lace around the edge. She sleeps with it every night and when she's at someone else's house, she secretly takes it with her.